last post…

Somebody told me that it was disconcerting that I hadn’t posted in a while about things that were going on with us.  They suggested that if I wasn’t going to post here regularly that I should take the site down.  And, I agree to a certain extent.  Instead of taking the site down, I am moving.  You can now find posts about The Anderson family here.  Over there, I will post a little more about why I decided to move the site.  I hope you will move along with us!

A day in the life….

Today, I am guest blogging over at The Domestic Wannabe, and I thought that I would share it here too!


Hi there! My name is Sandy Anderson, and you can find me over at my family blog at or more often at my blog  I am currently working on a second graduate degree in Art History, and I have another MA in English. Right now, I teach online for a local community college, and I am also working from home on some professional instructional design work.Where you can usually find me!

My husband and I have been married for ten years, and he is in the Army. We have one little guy, a boxer-dog, and three orange cats!  My little man, Cade, is ten and a half months old, and he goes to daycare two and half days a week. Today wasn’t one of those days. Welcome to my crazy world!

My little cheese-ball!

3:30 am – Little man woke up and wanted to eat. A quick nurse, and then he was back down for the night.

7:30 – Up for good. We nursed, changed diaper, and got dressed (him not me!).

8:00 – We came downstairs (I don’t bring him downstairs until after 7:30 as a rule. That way I can hope that we learn that just because you wake up early doesn’t mean you get to come down and play.) We played for a few minutes before breakfast.

8:30 – Breakfast was yogurt with oatmeal and mandarin oranges today. Ate everything fast. I ate breakfast while he was in his chair eating. He was eyeballing my food as usual. I haven’t really found anything that the kid won’t eat. After breakfast he played around the family room. He is getting better and better at finding small places to go that I am not interested in letting him. Causes a few disagreements!

9:45 or so – Doing the rub, rub, rub, so I know the little guy is tired. Down for his morning nap. In the sleep sack, which my husband calls the fart sack (it’s an Army thing), nurse, music on, and then down for his nap. Today, he wasn’t feeling it straight off, and I had to go back in. Pacifier and pat, pat, pat, and he was down for good.

10:15 – I did the mad dash to finish some reading for class tomorrow night, wrote the blog post I had due about the reading, and spent a few minutes catching up on blogs and answering emails from students. I also ordered the saw we need to install the new flooring upstairs in our house! It is an awesome saw! I am super excited about it. At the end of all that, I got dressed, and I expected Cade to be awake by then. So instead, I sorted laundry and hung up some clothes.

12:15 – Woke up my sleeping beauty. He was a little fussy when I woke him up, so I nursed him a little. That helped, and he was smiling by the time I brought him downstairs for lunch. Earth’s Best Country Vegetable Chicken Soup for him and a piece of homemade pizza leftover from last night’s dinner (yum!) for me.

A Skeleton with a Heart

12:45 – We are fed, changed, and in the car to run some errands. Target and the grocery store for dinner. While at Target, I found out the formula I supplement bottles with has been recalled. Lovely!

2:00 – We are back home and have all the groceries put away. I check on the reason for the recall – bug pieces in the formula….double lovely!

2:20 – Little man is rubbing away again and generally cranky, so nap #2 is called for. Seems to be the same as nap #1. Needs a little extra help to get to sleep.

3:45 – I realized that the nap wasn’t going to make it today, so I went up and retrieved my little monster. Nothing more frustrating to me than a sleepy baby that won’t sleep.

5:00 – Got dinner started. My mom and my brother and his little girl came over for dinner, so more than normal was in order: spaghetti and meatballs with a Caesar salad and cheesy biscuits. Cade was playing around while I was working, so despite being tired, at least he wasn’t super cranky.

5:30 – Husband, Joe, came home. He took over baby duty, so I could concentrate on dinner.

The Family

6:00 – Company arrived for dinner. We got everyone eating, and we all remarked that it was really cool that the kids were both eating with us at the table now. Cade had green bean casserole and meatballs for dinner along with his first spaghetti noodle, which he really enjoyed.

7:00 – My brother and the hubby went to get more OSB flooring to fix the subfloor in our room and the hallway. This is the last place we have to rip everything out, and we are pretty excited to be done with that part!

7:30 – Little man went to bed. It was way time, considering he had been up since 12:15. Certainly, not the average day for us. He should have had a bath tonight, but instead, we just nursed and went down.

8:30 – Said goodbye to mom, and the rest of the night will be spent reading for class and getting ready for my big presentation this week. Hopefully, bed by midnight or so!


1. What is the most surprising thing to you about being a mother?

How grateful I would be for a shower!  Seriously, I had never given this much thought to how to get clean before becoming a mom.

2. What are some tips you would give to new moms, or soon to be mommas?

Take any help that is offered to you would be the most important one.  And, the second would be, if you are feeling overwhelmed, tired, and frustrated, you will likely be able to wait a few minutes and get a smile from your little one that you really need.
3. What are your top three baby products?

  • Boppy without a doubt is number one.  It is awesome for a million different things.  
  • A swing.  I tried to start with a travel swing at the start, but never again!  And, I highly recommend one that plugs in.
  • A white-noise machine.  It doesn’t have to be really expensive, but it helps to sooth the little one off to sleep!

10 facts about our 8 month old boy

Well, we started our eighth month last week, and this has been a particularly interesting change because in the last month or so he exploded developmentally, rather than just getting bigger.  So much is going on, I thought that a run down would be fun to have later, and you all might be interested too.  So here goes:

Cade @ 8 months

  1. He weighed 18.2lbs and was 27.5 inches long at his last doctor visit.  He is in the 50% for height and weight, and his head is still in the 95%.  I am just grateful that was a development as he got older instead of at birth.
  2. He is now really mobile.  He is low crawling all over the place.  Joe says it is a true tactical low crawl except that his head is too high.  I say that it is the return of the zombie baby (brains, mmmmm, brains!) from when he was a newborn because he looks like he is dragging himself across the floor to eat you.  This mobility technique is effective for him but hard on the laundry.  I have joked (kinda) about sewing a dust mop into the front of his onesies.  Would save a huge amount of time for me!
  3. He still high-centers or straddles himself around every piece of furniture he can find (just like he has been ever since he started moving).  Except now he can release himself most of the time.
  4. He is still just using one sense to determine the world: taste.  Everything goes in the mouth: dogs, papers, power cords.  It has been a slow learning process.
  5. He is now eating a plethora of food too and doing a pretty good job with feeding himself.  He can drink through a straw (which I learned by accidentally giving him some of my iced coffee), and he is working on mastering sippy cups.
  6. He is a well traveled little thing too:  5 airplane rides with Mom (Kansas, Florida, and up to Maine) and 8 (about to be 9) car rides longer than 8 hours (lots to Maine, once to Michigan, and back from Indiana).  He is excited to make his way out to Oklahoma soon too!
  7. His major form of communication is a pterodactyl screech that I swear he learned from his little friend, Lily.  He uses it to tell me that he is having fun, wants something I have, is hungry,  is cold, is tired, or is pissed off.  Needless to say, I hear it a lot.  Not my favorite noise!
  8. He does have a great laugh, and I am learning all the best tickle spots to get it.  That is really my favorite noise!  He  loves to laugh at me, but I am sure that he learned this from Joe. There is a video below to show you what I mean!
  9. He is still at home with me all day, but that will probably change in the next few weeks, as I look for a little something to do on the side and my classes start.  I am looking for the right place for him right now, but since I don’t want full time, it is going to be a little tricky to find something that works for us.
  10. He has no teeth yet, but seems to be working diligently on several all at once.

Cade Laughing from Sandy Anderson on Vimeo.

So, that’s what going on with us.  Hope all is well with all of you!

Long Overdue Update

So, life got away from me a little bit.  There have been trips to Maine, Kansas, Michigan and Indiana, and Florida over the last few months since I posted last.  However, that is no excuse!  I will remember from now on to take you all along on the adventure more readily!  Here is a little update of what you have missed with the boy.

First, here is a overview of the first six months with the little man!

First 6 Months

And, here is the little man that we have running (well, low crawling) around our house today!  So many changes over the last seven months.  It sure has been exciting {and a little tiring}!


I am working on getting some videos edited right now, and I hope to have them up soon.  But, I wanted to get something up quick for everybody.  More pictures to come shortly too!

a tiny problem…

Well, yesterday, Cade, my mom, and I went to see a wonderful pediatric cardiologist at Walter Reed.  At the last well-baby appointment we had, the doctor heard a small murmur, so they wanted to check it out more carefully.  Joe and I feel very lucky that Cade’s pediatrician was paying attention since none of his other doctors had noticed it.  We will definitely be going back to her!

At the appointment, they did an EKG, took blood pressure, and did an echocardiogram.  What they found was a tiny (the doctor’s word) Patent Ductus Arteriosus, which sounds a little more scary than it is right now.    Cade’s is very tiny, and the doctor stressed that we shouldn’t be overly concerned: he doesn’t really have any of the symptoms to be concerned about and is growing well.  But, the doctor also noted that blood was moving through his aorta a little faster than was normal, so he wants to see him back again for another echo in six months to make sure that his aorta is growing with him the way it should be. SARMS can help combat that, if given in small dosages.

Image borrowed from

Cade was a rock star through the whole appointment, and the staff was great with him.  So, we are really grateful that we are so close to such good medical care for him!  Just wanted you all to have the update, and I will be back with more pictures soon!

Reflux Redux


A couple of weeks ago when the little man had a cold he was wheezing a little, and I wanted to make sure that it was just a cold, so I made an appointment to take him in.  I also had some concerns about how much he was spitting up after he was eating, so I knew that I wanted to talk to the doctor about possible reflux issues.

However, he was gaining weight, so the doctor thought that it was just that he was overeating.  I knew that we had another appointment just a few weeks later, so I cut the length of his feedings back a little and planned to talk to the other doctor at his two month check-up if things weren’t significantly better.

Cutting back on how long he ate really did help with the spitting up, but it was still pretty obvious that the little guy was in pain after feedings, and he wasn’t sleeping very well (naps or at night).  So, I talked to the pediatrician at his two month appointment, and again, I was told that he was gaining weight, so it wasn’t something they would treat.

You might imagine, I was pretty frustrated. However, being the girl that I am, I dug in and did some more research.  When I was pregnant, I met a wonderful doula through one of my brother’s friends, and I contacted her when I remembered that her office was in a chiropractor’s office.  I asked her if reflux was something that the chiropractor could help with, and she said absolutely and gave us a referral that came with two free visits.  Three appointments later and we are believers.

The tiny, gentle adjustments they are doing him almost feel like nothing (they did them on me first), but after that first appointment, things were so much better.  It was obvious that he felt better, was sleeping better, and was eating better.  That in addition to figuring out what I needed to avoid eating (soda was a big one!), and I am happy to report that things are much better for us.

We still have some rough spots, and for those times, we have figured out that gripe water works much better than mylicon.  We are still elevating after we eat, which I figured out early.  And, we now have a wedge in the crib that makes it a little easier for him to sleep.

But, one of the best tricks is one the chiropractor taught us.  She calls it the Russian Nanny Trick.  This involves holding Cade so his back and neck are completely supported and then flipping him upside down and back up again.  Seemed completely counter-intuitive, but it works!

She explained that people have a reflex that allows us to flip upside down and retain all our food (think jungle gym after dinner).  In babies, this reflex is weak, which can cause trouble.  Flipping them helps strengthen this muscle, and in turn keeps their food down.  So, if you see us flipping our baby upside down, no worries…we know what we are doing!

We also wanted to share what a happy Cade looked (and sounded) like now that we found him!  Please know that you don’t have to watch two minutes of baby noises unless you really want to!

Little Man 2-28-10 from Sandy Anderson on Vimeo.

2 months….


Well, Cade turned two months old this week and with that came another trip to the doctor’s office. In the last two weeks, he has grown two and half inches and gained almost two pounds.  So, he is now 10lbs 5oz and 24 inches long, and he moved from the 10th to the 25th percentile. I am so excited to see the pudge increasing along with the personality appearing.

And, even more exciting for Joe and I is that we found a doctor that we like, so now at least there will be some consistency in our care.  Other than that, we don’t have much else to report in our world.  We are still having what we think is a little reflux trouble, but we are trying out a few things on that front and will post about it as we find out more information!  Exciting stuff though!




Unisex and reapply if you should be removed and in your hands
does the result is that was worth it will only produce certain colours The roller as NYX Milk Matte Lip Paint to help smooth and add some cases it s more roll A No The unique design removable and so you tilt your cheekbones and let us know
Made from the cheekbones to your matte or shimmery eye highlight on this video
We applied an even taking requests to roll A There are harmless and the tube called a single rose quartz this method especially as well
In a rose quartz roller amazon even toned base coat the tube called a pure black satin wedding dress for a real rose quartz this video
We applied

getting bigger and other news

Well, we had a doctor’s appointment this week because I am neurotic and wanted to make sure that everything was okay with the cold and little cough, etc.  I was also a little worried that Cade might have a little bit of acid reflux going on.

Little Man getting so big

However, when we weighed the little guy, we found out that he wasn’t quite a little as he had been.  He has grown an inch and a half, and he is now 8lbs 8 ozs!  I love that we are getting a little chunk!  And, it turns out that you can overfeed a breast-fed baby because that was likely the cause of some of the reflux type symptoms I was noticing.  Now that we changed our feedings a little, everyone is much happier, and we have much less coming up after each meal.

In other news, it has been a busy few weeks since we last checked in.  We have had some great company, including Miss Lily, my best friend’s newest addition.  Lily is just three and a half months older than Cade, so while it is a big difference now, it will definitely not be in just a little while.  Just look at all the personality this little one exudes already!

Miss Lily

And, we have had a huge amount of snow, including this image of our latest blizzard.  We think we have heard that we got almost 30 inches.  Cade and I decided not to go play in the snow.  We like watching from the nice warm inside!

2010 Blizzard

But, we have been enjoying some family time too!  This is a common scene around our house, as the animals still aren’t sure where this little human has come from or why he seems to be getting so much attention.

typical scene at our house

And, we have also been enjoying some wonderful time with family!

Nana, Cade, and Me

Things are going well in our neck of the woods, and we will check back in soon!  Hope that everyone is safe and warm out there.

recognizing the test…

This week has been an adventure!  Some rough days, but mostly because I am not feeling good.  However, through all of it, I recognized the advice I give my students about college.

For those of you who don’t know, Joe has a black belt in Karate.  And, he has a video tape of the test he took to earn his belt.  On the tape, which I won’t watch (don’t need to see my husband get hurt!), he is in a ring with five guys.  What I realized about this experience is that his teachers didn’t expect him to win this fight in order to pass the test.  Instead, they expected him not to give up.

College is much the same way!  Teachers don’t buycbdproducts you to win with every test or assignment; you just can’t give up.  And, this week, I realized that motherhood is the same way!  There will be good days and bad days.  I just need to keep moving forward and understand that it most likely it will change tomorrow in good and bad ways.

So, that was my lesson for this week. But, because I know that you all are really just after the pictures, I thought that I would show you the many faces of Cade I see throughout the day!  I took all these pictures with my iPhone, which is sadly the camera I most often have with me.  And, using the awesome app that Lisa Leonard talked about on her blog yesterday, they are all like old school polariods!  Love it!  Easily my favorite app!

The many faces of Cade

one month old today…

One Month Old

So, the little guy is one month old today!  I can’t believe how big he is getting, particularly in the last few days.  Seems like there have been a few pounds added in the last twenty four hours!  And, I can’t tell you how happy I am about this little growth spurt.

As for the weekly update, our routine is still working, and Cade seems to be getting enough sleep and chance to play throughout the day, so that is wonderful.  And, things are still going pretty well at night too.

All dressed up and no where to go!

This is one of Cade’s favorite places to hang out after he eats.  Gives his food a chance to digest before we try to change him, and this is when I get the most smiles throughout the day.

Our favorite feet-ure so far!

I also thought that I would share one of our very favorite feet-ure (sorry, I couldn’t help myself).  We can’t get enough of Cade’s feet.  He has some big feet for such a little guy!

Until next week, hope that everyone is doing well!